Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

"Ms. Alyssa, don't you care about kids anymore?," says Elizabeth, a student I work with at one of Pittsburgh's public schools. This was the quote of my day yesterday. It made me stop in my tracks and think about what it is I do everyday and the meaning I find in my life's work.

But to back up for some context: remember in a post a long long time ago I mentioned that I had TWO secrets to share? Well, here is the second one...

Are you ready?
.
.
.
.
.
This is big....
.
.
.
.
.
Super duper big....


(fanfare please) I have a new job! On Tuesday, March 1, I am starting at the Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre (www.pbt.org) as the Director of Education and Community Engagement.

Whoa. Are you feeling overwhelmed yet? Because I am. A new full-time job AND a new baby = totally new life. I'm excited and terrified and nervous all at the same time.

So Elizabeth said this profound statement to me after I announced that I would no longer be working at their school anymore because I had found a new job. "Ms. Alyssa, don't you care about kids anymore?" Did she make me feel guilty and sad? You bet she did. For a number of reasons.

1. Unlike some people who find a new job because they hate what they're doing, I am the opposite. I actually really love the work I do right now. Not necessarily the long drives, the communication hiccups, and the whole "working 5 jobs at one time" juggling act, but working with the kids and teachers--absolutely. All the organizations I currently work for--Prime Stage Theatre, Gateway to the Arts, the MGR Foundation, City Theatre--have been amazingly wonderful to me and have provided me with significant opportunities to learn arts pedagogy and refine my teaching skills. Plus, the people at all of these organizations are wonderful. I will miss them all dearly.
2. The job I'm moving into involves significantly less teaching and much more administration. Now, I can't deny that I'm a good administrator. I pride myself on my organization and leadership skills, but will I miss being in the classroom? Absolutely. I will jump at every opportunity the Ballet has for me to teach because it is those interactions with students that make what we do so worth it. I plan on bringing in some recent artwork and cards made for me by some of my students as a reminder that they are the reason why I do what I do.

Despite all this, Elizabeth, it's not that I don't care about students anymore. In fact, it's just the opposite. I care about them more than ever, especially now as I'm moving into a job that has the potential for me to reach many more students through the programming that the Ballet offers and as I am embarking on my journey to motherhood with my very own personal "student" to shape, mold, and grow into a hopefully caring, respectful, intelligent person. I care about students more than ever in my life.

But thank you Elizabeth for keeping me on my toes (ballet pun very intended ;-p)

No comments:

Post a Comment