Friday, October 22, 2010

Gal Pals

I have amazing gal pals.  This past week, my husband was out of town for a conference.  Before he had even left, two friends contact me and invite me to various things, including dinner so I wouldn't have to eat alone.  How sweet and thoughtful is that?? 

Tuesday night I went over to Angie's new apartment for dinner--delicious chicken with cheese tortellini smothered in alfredo sauce, garlic bread, and amazing chocolate cake for dessert.  And wine!

Wednesday night I went over to Courtney's, hung with the kids, and was treated to very flavorful and scrumptious stuffed zucchini and bread.  And wine!

Thursday night I invited my new friend Meredith over to enjoy some homemade ham and lentil soup with bread.  And wine!

See a running theme at all? ;-) But seriously, over a meal and a glass of wine, I found myself conversing and catching up with three women who are all at different stages in their life, taking it day by day.  We talked and talked and laughed and laughed.  And the honest enjoyment of being in each other's company was unmistakable.  I've never been very "popular" with other women, probably due in large part to my extremely Type-A, extroverted personality.  But the friends I do have are priceless and I value them and our relationships more than they will every know, from those friends I've had since elementary school to the new friends I continue to make here in Pittsburgh.  Because there is something special about gal pals that no relationship with a man will ever come close to.  I pretend we're all part of this secret society, that only we "get" how life is, and how sometimes this secret knowledge is shared only through knowing glances, implicit innuendos, and large laughs because frankly--it really feels that way sometimes!

So really, how lucky am I?  Incredibly so!  Thanks, ladies--you're the best!

2 comments:

  1. This just game me "warm fuzzies"! I'm so glad you were able to come to dinner the other night, Aiden, Maddie, and I always enjoy your company! Thanks for hanging with us while Grant was at work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww!!! I feel so special to have been included on your blog...and special to have found you in my new city. <3 :)

    ReplyDelete