Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gonna brag...

I'm gonna brag.  Unabashedly.  Get over it.

I have the best husband.  So much so that even other husbands are jealous of him and his mad skills.  Our mutual friend, who shall remain nameless, joked with me one afternoon as I was over visiting with his wife, "So, what's Jake up to?  Building you another back deck this fine day?"  Turns out, he wasn't too far off.  He was building a bench in our back garden using a slab of stone and the chopped up parts of a tree that he ripped out of the ground the day before from our front garden (envision him standing on top of a 5 foot lopped off tree, rocking it back and forth to break the roots, making monkey noises, and you get the picture).  He's just that good.

So the big case in point: the aforementioned "back deck," which is apparently also an object of envy.  I've been promising pictures of the hard work he did all summer, so here they are!

What was a drab looking concrete area...


is now a gorgeously warm, wooded oasis, including a tressle picnic table he built one week from plans he downloaded off the internet...


replete with an outdoor bar/gardening station that we refurbished from Construction Junction.  The large tile on the left side pops out to create a potting station--the dirt goes through the grates underneath to the drawer, pop the drawer out, dump out the dirt, and easy breezy clean up!.  He even picked out the curtain AND hemmed it...


outdoor speakers with an ipod hookup, also installed by dear husband...


and a corner shelf to put our clothes pins and Beau's leash on, never to get soaking wet again because we left it on the ledge.  Genius.


Not to sell myself too short, I did help--a bit.  I spaced out the boards, did some staining, but really nothing compared to the wonders my husband did.

I'm incredibly lucky.  I now it.  Even if I don't always show it (like today--my PMS says sorry, honey!).

I love you, Jake!

No comments:

Post a Comment