Friday, May 27, 2011

"What Was Old" Baby shower

This past weekend, two of my dear friends, Courtney and Meredith, co-hosted a baby shower for Jake and I! The theme was "What was Old" after you know what :-) They all chipped in on some group gifts, including a pack n play and other "essentials," and then each brought an old time toy or book, too. Oh, and how could I forget? We now have a gazilion onesies.

A gazillion onesies? Alyssa, isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? Well, yes, but I like hyperbole. We nonetheless have a lot of them now because great minds think alike. Not only did Angie make us some adorable applique onesies and Meredith picked us up a cute-as-a-button yellow onesie with blue flowers, but the activity at the shower was decorating used onesies! Courtney went to Once Upon a Child and scoured it for onesies in a range of sizes. Then she went to Jo-Ann's and picked up some great fabric scraps. Ironed on the transfer paper, and voila! We could decorate to our hearts' content! The crafty person in me just about died. It was so much fun to see what everyone came up with.

Interestingly enough, the men put a lot of deep thought into their onesies, so much so that I think their wives were beginning to wonder if they would ever finish so they could bring their babes home for a nap! Take a look at these beauties!
Tommy's depiction of Pittsburgh on the left, Ryan's Elephant with clothes, and DW's intricate spring flower. Very impressive, guys!
I'm happy to note as well that Courtney and Meredith made a concerted effort to mix up the color pallette at the shower (they know I'm not the biggest fan of an "everything pink" approach, although I'm certainly warming up to the color), except for the men in their families who all thought it would be HILARIOUS to wear pink shirts that day. Too cute, boys, too cute. 

It was such a lovely day hanging out with our friends and their families, and we are so fortunate to have such supportive and caring group out here. Thank you to everyone who attended and those who were there in spirit for your good vibes and much appreciated gifts. Yeah for celebrating Baby Melbs!

So bit by bit we're accumulating more and more stuff for baby. Look at all these cloth diapers (that I still need to strip and prepare...soon, sometime soon, and I promise to take pictures to blog about).

And the armoire that's quickly accumulating adorable outfits that, come hell or high water, I will make sure she wears at least once!

And here's this week's photo (31...but who's counting?):

And Ma, can you guess what I'm drinking here? Hint: It's your favorite morning drink :-)

Happy and safe Memorial Day Weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like an amazing baby shower and I'm so glad you allowed men! I also think I'm going to steal the idea of decorating used onesies if/when Bruce and I get married and start having kids.

    ReplyDelete