Sunday, April 24, 2011

Holidays = food and family

When it comes to most holidays, I must admit: it's not the history I typically think of, or even the religious aspects of it. What I think of most are food and family. Doesn't matter which holiday it is, this is what it all boils down to for me. Unfortunately, living so far away from said family means that we don't get to see each other all the time on holidays (at least in person--there's always Skype!), so when we've had holidays out here in Pittsburgh, it thus boils down even further into "food."

This Easter was no different. I must admit that there was some acknowledgment on my part that this would be the last big holiday sans child so I better do all I can in the kitchen while I can without the interruption of pitter-pattering feet. Although truth be told, I'm totally psyched for holidays with children because children = crafts. Awesome!

But I digress. And so I did go all out with this scrumptious feast...

Maple glazed ham
Baked potato
Asparagus deglazed in wine with parmesan cheese and cracker topping
Butternut squash with butter and thyme

Corn muffins
Strawberry spinach salad with homemade poppy seed dressing

For dessert, I cheated. I bought an angel food cake and ice cream from Giant Eagle, but then I made my very own strawberry sauce. This hit the spot after we took Beau for an evening jaunt. So yummy!
This is what he does when I tell him to smile :-)

The other big news of the weekend is that we have finally transitioned the office downstairs (pics coming soon) and have spring cleaned the other bedroom, which means...(drum roll please)...we are ready to begin setting up the nursery! YEAH! Here's our first two decorating projects for the room that we completed just because we could.
Decals from the bedding set that we stuck on the ceiling fan.
Decals on the lamp.
Hopefully Baby Melbs likes the decor when she arrives. Otherwise, she'll just have to change it herself ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment