Monday, April 4, 2011

Sewing Storm

I've been in a bit of a sewing storm recently. Partly because I have a whole stash of fabric to use up, partly because I'm just itching to make things for Baby Melbs. Here are two recent projects. Both patterns are once again from Simple Sewing for Baby: 24 Easy Projects for Newborns to Toddlers by Lotta Jansdotter. Because I really think you should check out the book (and that little thing called copyright), I'm not going step by step. I'm just including a few pics of the process and finished project.

Soft Rattles
These were made out of old pajama pants of mine that were sooooo comfy, but the elastic had worn out. They were the softest flannel ever, and I couldn't bear to part with them. So here they are, become toys for my sweet baby girl. They have bells in them that jingle softly, too. Here's to hoping she likes them!

The cut-out pattern. I've already embroidered the eyes and am getting ready to seam it.
Finished product!

And her friend with green ears and yellow eyes and nose that made to go with her :-)

Changing Pad for Diaper Bag
*Caveat: this is my first time ever working with batting. It was interesting and definitely a learning experience. The great thing about it is that it's very forgiving, and the bad thing is it's very forgiving. It has a lot of flexibility in it! Also, I can't cut out a square piece of fabric for the life of me. I try my best, but it's never square! If anyone knows any tricks, please pass on!

My attempt at creating a "square" corner.
The outer fabric, batting, and lightweight cotton all set to go.
You can just barely see the quilting lines I've marked on here.
Here's my first ever attempt at quilting. Following the straight lines was really cathartic!
The velcro strap I made with two pieces of Velcro and grosgrain ribbon.
Starting to sew it all together...
Finished inside. What Baby Melbs will lay on. And yes, I'm aware that this is white. Not the best choice, but it's what I had lying around!
Ready to be folded...
Voila! Diaper changing pad complete. And it fits perfectly into my diaper bag :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment